What beverage goes great with Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken on a hot summer’s day? How about lemonade? Like our southern style chicken, lemonade is a summer staple – and when you make it fresh from scratch, it’s an especially perfect match!
Here’s one of Mary’s favourite lemonade recipes. It’s quick, easy and SO refreshing!
1 cup sugar
5 cups water
6 to 8 lemons (enough to yield 1 cup of lemon juice)
- Combine sugar and 1 cup only of water in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat to dissolve sugar completely. Remove from heat.
- Cut lemons in half and squeeze out juice. Pick out seeds and if you prefer low pulp or pulp free, remove accordingly. Repeat until you have 1 cup of juice.
- Add the cooled sugar mixture to your pitcher, followed by the lemon juice and remaining 4 cups of water. Stir, taste, and add more sugar or lemon juice depending on your taste.
- Add ice to the pitcher or to individual glasses.
- Garnish with a lemon slice or try something different like a sprig of basil, mint, rosemary or thyme.
- Substitute sparkling water for a fizzy, fun variation.
- Make it limeade using limes instead of lemons.
- Make it pink lemonade by adding a few tablespoons of grenadine to the recipe above.
- Serve in chilled mason jars for a country chic look.
- Add a brightly-coloured straw for fun.